Monday, August 24, 2009

Beginning My Blog

My friend Nicole Nero and I had a coffee date the other day, and after asking me lots of questions about what I have been up to and how my job was doing, she encouraged me to start a blog. So, I thought, "Why not?" It's a good way to keep in touch with my friends and let them know what I'm going... plus I get to see a lot of cool things and meet some really interesting people in my everyday life. So here goes.

On June 29, 2009, I signed my first television contract as a Reporter for WSFA 12 News. It's a little confusing because WSFA is in Montgomery, and I work out of Dothan. I will try my best to explain.

WSFA has a "Wiregrass Newsroom" in Dothan, at a station called WDFX Fox 34. Both WSFA and WDFX are owned by the same parent company, Raycom Media. So, I cover news out of Dothan, which is used for the WSFA Newscasts as well as the WDFX newscasts. Make sense?

Right now, I work 3 days a week in Dothan, and 2 days a week in Montgomery. It probably doesn't sound fun, but I really enjoy it. It breaks up the week, plus, when I'm down in Dothan, I miss working with my co-workers up in Montgomery, so at least I get to see them on the weekends now. I like being on the go, so it doesn't bother me. Also, I stay in Montgomery on Saturday nights, so I don't have to be driving back and forth all the time.

I would describe my job as a daily scavenger hunt, and I feel like I perform a small mircale every day. In the course of a day, I must come up with a story idea that is both newsworthy and affects people, find people who are affected by that and who would be willing to let me interview them on camera (which isn't an easy task), conduct interviews on location and grab extra footage for my story, and figure out a way to tell their complicated story in about a minute and a half. Then, it's off to edit the story so that it can be seen on the news that night. Time is usually not my friend, as each night's approaching deadline is always in the back of my mind. It's kind of nice though, constantly wishing time would move slower, as opposed to other jobs, when I'm sure I would stare at the clock wishing time would go by faster.

Then, as the news concludes for the evening, the slate it completely cleared for the next day. You start over every morning. It's nice knowing that when I go home, my job is over for the night. It's not really possible to take home work, besides wondering what story I will cover for the next day.

I am so thankful that I was able to get the job I had hoped for after graduation. Starting this new chapter in life has been so exciting, but it hasn't always been easy. It was hard to move a little further from my family, leave Auburn and my boyfriend, say goodbye to my friends as we all went our separate ways, and move to a new town where I didn't know anyone. But I am slowly feeling more at home there, meetings new friends, and becoming used to life after college.

But, I love my job, and I am certain that I am doing what I am supposed to do, where I am supposed to be. I am excited about what the future holds.

I'll keep you all updated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment